Healthier Gulab Jamuns (believe it or not!!!)
This is to continue the post on my Dassera dinner. Since Gulab Jamuns are Amit’s favorite sweet dish, I decided to make some for dessert. Since I decided a little too late, I did not have enough time to make it from scratch. I decided to buy one of the packets from the Indian grocery store. I was sitting and talking to Amit about what I was planning to make for dinner, and when he heard gulab jamun his eyes lit up but then he had this suggestion. He wondered out loud if there was anyway to make desserts a little less unhealthy. Now to convert gulab jamuns to a healthier version, I would have to not fry them. The only other way to cook them would be to bake them. So that’s what I did. The recipe below is for making gulab jamuns without frying them (though not from scratch – next time around will make it from scratch).
- 1 packet Gulab Jamun packet
- 2 cups water
- 7 – 8 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- few strands saffron (optional)
- Knead the dough as instructed on the packet.
- Instead of make small round balls from the dough make about 4-6 patties (like cutlets) about 1.5 inches in diameter.
- Preheat the oven to 325 deg F.
- Grease a baking dish and place the patties on the dish with enough room between the patties.
- Place the baking dish in the oven for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Turnover the patties when they are golden brown on the bottom side of the patties.
- When the other side is also golden brown take the patties out of the oven and set aside.
- In the meanwhile heat the water and bring to a boil.
- Add the sugar, cardamom and saffron and let it simmer.
- Let the mixture till boil till the sugar syrup is a thickens. You should end up with around 1.5 cups of syrup.
- Place each patty in separate serving bowls and pour the sugar syrup over each patty.
- Leave the patties soaked in the syrup for atleast 20 minutes before soaking.
- Also tastes awesome cold.
I wasn’t too sure about how this would turn out, but believe me, the baked gulab jamuns taste awesome, and this comes from Amit who loves them. He is the best judge of gulab jamuns. Try them out, I am sure you will love them. And without the frying, you get all the taste without the oil!!! Hope you like them.