A Verry Berry Merry Christmas!
What’s Christmas without an awesome dessert. This year instead of making the usual cake, I decided I wanted to make something a little different. So since a cake is a must, the berries make christmas merrier and the white fluffy cream to make my christmas a white christmas (no other way to make it a white christmas in Phoenix), I decided on making a layered dessert. So the three main ingredients of this dessert are vanilla cream, pound cake and a raspberry / blueberry compote.
Raspberry / Blueberry Compote layer
- 1 cup Raspberry (6 oz)
- 1 cup Blueberry (6 oz)
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup triple sec liqueur
- 1 tsp freshly grated orange zest
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
Vanilla cream layer
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup crushed Pound cake
- 1/2 cup orange juice (with pulp)
- Wash the berries and add it to a saucepan.
- Add the powdered sugar to the berries and stir gently till the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Now add the liqueur, orange zest and lemon extract to the berries and bring to a boil.
- In the meanwhile dissolve the cornstarch in the water and set aside.
- Once the berries have come to a boil, add the cornstarch and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and cool it in the refrigerator.
- Add the sugar and vanilla extract to the cream and whip the cream till it forms peaks.
- For the layers first put a cake layer with a couple of teaspoons of orange juice.
- Then add a layer of cream.
- Then add a layer of the berry compote.
- Then repeat with a layer of cake, cream, cake and compote.
You get about 6-8 servings depending on the size of the glass. You can play around with the layers depending on which of the three layers you like more or less. I loved the texture of the three layers coming together and I hope you do too. And here’s to a verry berry merry christmas!!!