Muthu, I dedicate this to you!!!
Amit was out-of-town this weekend and I was too bored to cook for just me. But I picked up some broccoli at Safeway yesterday and since he hates broccoli, I decided to finish it before he got back. I am not a big fan of broccoli either, so I had to have it with something I really love. That’s sausages, but again, they are rather unhealthy so I decided to combine the broccoli with some chicken sausages. And then I had to make some garlic cream sauce to go with the broccoli and sausage. I love garlic…
And I have to dedicate this post to one of my closest friends, Muthu, who is miles away in Zurich now. But when she was here in the US, she used to be the one who used to have all the broccoli when we went out to eat and forgot to tell the waitress not to put broccoli in our dish. She is going to be very proud of me for making broccoli at home. I used to be worried that it would turn all soggy and that I would not like. But as it turns out, not only is broccoli healthy, it is also very quick and easy to make.
This recipe takes about half hour from start to finish. You could serve it with a pasta or bread. I had just this for a light and quick dinner. I would say, that if you are serving this with a pasta or bread, it would serve 2 persons. I had just this for dinner and it was definitely a single serving.
- 1 floret broccoli
- 2 chicken sausages (cut into 1/4 inch thick slices)
- 6-7 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon sun dried tomato
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2-1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt to taste
- 1 bowl iced water
- shredded parmesan cheese for garnish
- Bring 2-3 cups of water to a boil. Add salt to the water and once the water comes to a boil, add the broccoli florets and let it cook for 1 minute.
- Immediately after a minute, drain the broccoli out of the water and put it into the bowl of iced water.
- Heat the olive oil and add the garlic and sun-dried tomato. Saute the garlic and sun-dried tomato till the garlic turns brown.
- Next add the oregano, red chilli flakes and pepper powder.
- Mix the ingredients together and add 1/4 cup water.
- Once the water starts simmering add the cream and mix throughly.
- Transfer this sauce to a serving bowl and saute the broccoli in the same saucepan for a couple of minutes.
- Now transfer the broccoli to the serving bowl over the garlic cream sauce.
- Next saute the sliced chicken sausages in the saucepan till browned on both sides.
- Now transfer the chicken sausage over the broccoli.
- Top with some parmesan cheese and serve hot either by itself or with some pasta or bread.
I loved this dish. It has the healthy broccoli and the tasty sausage. The combination is mind blowing and the garlic sauce is very flavorful. And the dish looks very colorful thanks to the bright green of the broccoli.
I am still unpacking so am still trying to locate the batteries for my camera. So sorry about the pictures. I promise, I will have better pictures for my next post.