A Quick and Easy Dinner
This week seems to be one of those weeks where I am on a cooking spree. And since I am actually pretty busy, the dishes are going to be very quick ones with few ingredients. Perfect for a busy weekday night! Since I had some of the sausages left over from last night, I decided to make a Frittata with some sweet potatoes and sausages. It takes about 15-20 mins of preparation time and then about 40-45 minutes in the oven. So it does not actually need much of your actual time.
The colors in the dish are very eye-catching, green from the cilantro, orange from the sweet potatoes, yellow from the eggs and a rich brown from the sausage. I am amazed by the orange color of the sweet potatoes, back in India the sweet potatoes are not orange, they are a pale yellow. But I love the orange sweet potatoes, they add so much color to any dish.
Since I do not have much time, these posts are going to be to the point, without much ado. This serves 2-3 persons, 2 if this is all you are serving and 3 if there are some sides.
- 1 medium/large sweet potato (diced)
- 2 sausages (I used chicken sausages) – diced into the same size as the sweet potato
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 4-5 green onions (chopped)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk / 1 tbsp cream
- 1 cup chopped cilantro (coriander)
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp powdered black pepper (add more or less to taste)
- 2 tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the red chili flakes.
- Pre heat the oven to 350 F.
- Toss in the diced sausages and green onions and let the sausages brown.
- Once the sausage has browned add the sweet potato and salt and cook for about 5-10 minutes till the sweet potato start softening.
- In the meanwhile beat the eggs lightly in a bowl, then add the cilantro and the cream/milk and beat.
- Once the sweet potatoes start softening add the egg mixture.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top and transfer the pan into the oven.
- Let the Frittata bake in the oven for about 35-45 mins or till the Frittata is cooked through.
Loved the dish, hope you too love it. It’s easy to make and does not require much of your time. Once the dish is in the oven, you are free to do whatever else you need to. Therefore a perfect weekday dinner. Enjoy!