Back after another unplanned break!!!
I know I had promised I would not disappear for such long periods of time but I guess my PhD program does take precedence over all else… But well I am back and this is gonna be a short post but a post nonetheless after one whole month. I had actually made this dish before I went on my one month sabbatical but never got down to posting the recipe. I love spinach and it’s healthy too. So why not combine some spinach with fish! And I do love all kinds of seafood so it feels like the best combination…. And its takes about 30-45 minutes to make with about 20-30 minutes of active prep / cooking from your side.
- 4 fish fillets (any kind cleaned and cut into four pieces each)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 8 cups of spinach leaves
- 1 tomato (pureed)
- 1 1/2 onions (finely chopped)
- 4-5 cloves garlic (sliced fine)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 3 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 cup water
- salt to taste
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil. Add the cumin seeds and when it sputters add the raw spinach leaves. Let the leaves wilt just a little; this takes about a minute.
- Now transfer the spinach to the pureed tomato and puree the entire mixture together.
- Heat the rest of the oil in the same pan and add the chopped onions to it. Once the onions soften a little add the sliced garlic.
- Once the onion and garlic brown add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and cumin powder and fry for a minute.
- Add the water and salt to this mixture and let it come to a simmer.
- Now add the fish to this mixture and cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the cover and let the fish cook in the mixture for another 5 minutes or till the fish is partially cooked.
- Now add the spinach – tomato puree to the fish and cover the pan. Let is cook for about 10 minutes.