Love Thai Food…
I am in love with Thai food… It’s my go-to food when I want to eat something nice and familiar and be sure that I will love it. So making Thai food at home is not a usual thing for us as when we feel like it we just go out or take out from our favorite Thai restaurants around our place. A few weeks back I bought this cookbook from Barnes and Noble. The reason I picked it up was it was on sale and it had a ton of very pretty pictures. I love cookbooks with pretty pictures. It just makes it easier for me to decide on whether I want to or not make a particular recipe. So this book that I picked up is called ‘Curry Bible’ by Mridula Baljekar. There are a pages of recipes for different meats and vegetables all with the same link – curry. This is where I picked this recipe from – Thai Yellow Chicken Curry, one main reason being that it has baby corns in it. I love baby corns and so does Amit and both of us love Thai food, so why not. Oh and an added incentive was that it does not use all coconut milk, instead it uses yogurt which makes it an healthier version. I did make a couple of changes to the recipe either because I did not have the ingredients or felt it would make the dish just a little more flavorful. This recipe serves 4 and takes about 45 mins to prepare.
- 6 tbsp Thai yellow curry paste (ingredients and recipe follow)
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1.5 cups water
- handful of fresh cilantro
- handful of thai basil leaves (I did not have these handy so skipped it)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion cut into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (cut into strips)
- 6 oz baby corns (halved lengthwise)
For Thai Yellow Curry Paste
- 2 orange habanero chili (I wanted it spicy, you could use normal orange or yellow chilies)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 shallots
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 12-15 black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 lemongrass stalk, chopped
- 1″ fresh ginger
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil and add the yellow curry paste. Stir fry the paste till it is fragrant for a min or two.
- Add the chicken and baby corn to the paste and transfer it to another bowl.
- In the same pan heat the rest of the oil and stir fry the onions and garlic till the onions are pink.
- Now add the chicken and baby corn to this and stir fry till the chicken and baby corn are tender.
- Now stir in the yogurt, coconut milk, water, cilantro and thai basil. Bring this to a boil and let it simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Garnish with some cilantro and basil and serve hot with rice.
For Yellow Curry Paste
- Grind the ingredients together in a food processor or grinder to a smooth paste. You can store this in the refrigerator for upto a week.
I served this with some saffron coconut rice. The recipe for the saffron coconut rice will be uploaded soon. The recipe is very easy to make and goes well with either rice or bread. Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did.