I know I am supposed to be on a healthy eating spree but then I believe that on festivals, you should eat and not think about diets and healthy food etc. All that you should think about is tasty, yummy and delicious food. So I decided to go ahead and make a curry which is absolutely delicious. I made the masala powder based on what spices I felt like cooking the chicken and egg with. I have made the masala powder and saved it for future recipes. It is a pretty versatile spice powder. And really does not take too long to make. This serves 2-3 persons and takes about 45 mins to prepare.
Happy Easter to everyone and hope everyone has a wonderful day…
- 1.5+1 tsp masala powder (recipe at the end)
- 1 chicken breast (cut into 1″ cubes)
- 2 hard boiled eggs (cut into 2 halves)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1″ ginger
- 1 large bunch cilantro leaves
- 1/2 red onion (sliced)
- 1/2 tomato (chopped)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
Ingredients for Masala Powder
- 1.5 tsp black pepper
- 1.5 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 red chili
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1″ cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp coriander powder
- Dry roast the ingredients under the masala powder list. Once the dry spices are roasted and smell wonderful, grind the spices to a fine powder.
- Marinate the chicken pieces in a paste made of the garlic, ginger and coriander leaves.
- In the meanwhile heat the oil and add the red onions to it.
- Fry the onions till it is dark brown.
- Now add 2 tsp of the masala powder and mix till throughly mixed.
- Next add the chopped tomatoes and let the tomatoes get mushy.
- Add some water to this mixture if it gets too dry.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked thoroughly, add the chicken cubes to the onion mixture.
- Cook the chicken till cooked through.
- Now add the water to the chicken and let the curry simmer for 5 mins.
- Next add the coconut milk, hard boiled eggs and salt to taste. Let the curry cook for a few mins till you get the desired consistency for the gravy.
Thanks for reading my blog and do let me know how the dish turns out if you do try it.
Pictures from Readers who tried this recipe
- My aunt Geetha made the dish for her Vishu Meal… That’s New year’s day in Kerala… I am honored….