At last a successful everyday bread with 5 mins of prep time.
Somehow store-bought bread and I just don’t get along well anymore. My stomach knows exactly when it is store-bought and decides to punish me for it… So that’s when I decided to try making bread at home. I have tried a number of recipes and white bread is easy to make, but then that’s not healthy. So I read and read and re-read during my lunch and dinner breaks and realized that the secret to whole wheat bread is vital wheat gluten! Once you have this, you can make brilliant whole wheat bread at home… And to add to it, you need only 5 mins of your hands on time. Just mix the ingredients together and the next day you have fresh out of the oven healthy, no preservative bread! Now why on earth would I buy bread anymore? Well I am going to avoid it as far as I can now. And this has now given me the opportunity to try out different variations. I have a million ideas in my head and you guys will know of all my successful attempts right here…
A very useful resource I found online is the King Arthur Flour website. They have a brilliantly written blog as well, very detailed and very nice recipes. At least the two recipes I have tried till now are perfect and I am going to make them again and again. That’s where I discovered the brilliantly written book – Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day: 100 New Recipes Featuring Whole Grains, Fruits, Vegetables, and Gluten-Free Ingredients by Zoe Francois & Jeff Hertzberg MD. They have very nice recipes and they also give very detailed instructions on what kind of flour to use and how to handle the dough etc. A must buy book if you are interested in baking bread at home. Now let’s get to the recipe. This makes about two 1 pound loaves.
- 2 3/4 cups whole wheat bread
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 tbsp instant yeast (1 packet)
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp vital wheat gluten
- 2 cups warm water (115F)
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl or a dough tub.
- Cover the bowl and keep it outside for 2 hrs at room temperature. I left it outside overnight and let it rise.
- The next day morning before leaving for work, I moved it into the refrigerator.
- In the evening or anytime in the next 14 days cut out a grape sized piece of dough and form a ball of it without kneading or punching down the dough. You want all the air to remain in the dough, this leads to a nice light loaf.
- Stretch the dough out a little to form an almond shaped loaf.
- Transfer the dough ball onto a silicone mat, pizza peel sprinkled with cornmeal or parchment paper.
- Now let the dough rise for about 90 mins. About 60 mins into the rising time, place the baking stone in the oven and pre-heat the oven 450 F.
- Place an empty metal broiler pan below the baking stone.
- At the end of the rising time, place the bread on the baking stone. If using the silicone mat, transfer the bread into the baking stone directly after 2/3 time into the baking time.
- Bake the bread for 30 mins or till the bread crust is browned.
- Cool the bread on a cooling rack for about 20 mins and then cut it into slices.
Voila here’s the bread ready to be devoured any way you wish. I made some pesto egg salad and made an egg salad sandwich. The fact that this is fresh bread, elevated a simple egg salad sandwich to a whole different level! And this tastes good just toasted with soe butter.
And you can use the rest of the dough as and when you want or bake it all in one go. I can bake fresh bread at home anytime I feel like now. Thanks for reading my blog and hope you enjoy this recipe.