How about some fresh baked muffins for breakfast!
Who doesn’t love the smell of fresh baking at home! Well I doubt there are very many out there who don’t love it… And imagine the baking smell at home first thing in the morning! These are excellent as breakfast muffins and you can choose what berries to put in depending on what you have at hand. I had some fresh blueberries that I had bought at the Germantown Farmer’s Market on Thursday and some raspberries from the supermarket. So that’s what went into these muffins.
And yes I know I have been missing from my blog for ages now. But the new home and setting it up took up quite a bit of our time. Now we are done with almost all the remodeling and have at last kind of settled down in to a routine. So it’s back to blogging! So let’s restart the adventures in the kitchen with some berry muffins. This recipe makes 12 muffins.
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp molasses
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup berries (I used fresh, you can use frozen as well)
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 oz softened butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease the bottom of a muffin pan. You could also use cupcake wrappers instead of greasing the bottom of the muffin pan.
- In a large bowl sift together the dry ingredients (listed from 1 to 4 in the ingredients list).
- Next lightly beat the eggs and add the molasses, milk and oil to the eggs and mix together.
- Now add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix till all the ingredients are combined.
- At the very end add the berries and mix the berries into the flour mixture in a few turns of the spatula.Do not mix too much else the berries will start breaking and oozing out their juices.
- Now transfer the mixture to the muffin pan.
- Stir the 2 tbsp of sugar and all purpose flour together and crumble in the butter with your hands. You should get a mixture which looks like coarse sand.
- Now add this crumble mixture to the top of the muffins and transfer the muffin pan into the preheated oven.
- Bake for 20-25 mins and remember to cool the muffins on a wire rack if you do not use the cupcake wrappers.
You can make healthier version of the muffins by using a mixture of all purpose flour and whole grain flour. Hope you enjoy these muffins as much as we did. We loved it and it has been our breakfast and snack with tea for the last couple of days. Cheers to an awesome weekend when the weather had been absolutely beautiful!